Many foreign policy experts place Pakistan at the top of the most serious foreign policy issues facing the next U.S. president. A politically turbulent country with nuclear arms, Pakistan has an increasingly restive tribal region believed to host al-Qaeda's top leaders and Taliban forces that have revived their insurgency in neighboring Afghanistan. CFR.org has compiled the following resources from the Council on Foreign Relations to trace the issues and outline policy prescriptions.
- Analysis: Obama's Pakistan Challenge
- Timeline: U.S.-Pakistan Relations
- Backgrounder: U.S.-Pakistan Military Cooperation
- Interview: U.S. Needs to Tread Carefully in Pakistan
- Interview: Next U.S. President Must Cope with Splintered Pakistani Leadership
- Podcast: Markey Briefs the Next President on Pakistan
- Video: A Conversation with Senator Joseph R. Biden, Jr.
- Meeting: Continuing Challenges for U.S. Foreign Policy
- Meeting: A Conversation with Benazir Bhutto
- Must Read: The Next Chapter: The United States and Pakistan
- Congressional Testimony: Markey on U.S.-Pakistan Relations
- Council Special Report: Securing Pakistan's Tribal Belt
- Interactive Map: Pakistan's Tribal Belt
- Backgrounder: Pakistan's Tribal Areas
- Backgrounder: Pakistan's New Generation of Terrorists
- Backgrounder: The ISI and Terrorism
- Backgrounder: The Troubled Afghan-Pakistani Border
- The Capital Interview: 'Fighting Terrorism is Pakistan's Own War'
- Daniel Markey: Hotbed of Terror
- Interview: Is a Pakistan Truce Good for the United States?
- Daniel Markey: Why Pakistan Plays "Let's Make a Deal"
- Michael J. Gerson: The Necessary Three-Front War
- Essential Document: U.S. GAO Report on Combating Terrorism in Pakistan
- Backgrounder: Controls on Pakistan's Nuclear Technology
- Podcast: Khan Still Key to Nuclear Nonproliferation Efforts
- Meeting: Nuclear Black Markets: Pakistan, A .Q. Khan and the Rise of Proliferation Networks
- Backgrounder:Pakistan's Institutions and Civil Society
- Backgrounder: Pakistan's Constitution
- Meeting: A Conversation with Yousaf Raza Gilani
- Interview: Pakistan Facing Period of "Governmental Instability"
- Conference Call: Pakistan's Parliamentary Election
- Podcast: Pakistan's Identity Crisis